Sunday, May 25, 2014

Waiting on the Lord

I was reminded the other day how hard it is when we do not get what we want. When I think about not getting what I want the way I want it, I imagine a toddler in the cereal aisle at the grocery store. There was one particular moment that even as a child I was able to understand.

When I was a kid, I tried to “reason” my way into getting that giant box of Captain Crunch that was calling my name. I wanted it to sooo bad. I felt that I deserved it because I was on my best behavior (when we arrived at that particular aisle of the store anyway). My friends all had Captain Crunch at their houses, and why couldn’t I have it, I begged and pleaded my case. Then, once that strategy wasn’t working, I went into an all-out frenzy right there in Aisle 9. Forced tears, screaming, and crying the whole shebang. Unfortunately, for me, my parents were not having it that day. They wisely had other plans that were better for me.

Just like our father in heaven, even when we want something so badly that we can taste it. Even Jesus had a moment where he had something that he didn’t want to do. We read in Luke chapter 22:42 “Father, if you are willing, take this cup from me; yet not my will, but yours be done.” (NIV)

As we look forward to what is ahead of us as a church. There may be some times that may challenge us. The point is that we know that God has called Bridgeway to greater things in the Tri-county area.

Rest assured, that God is moving in the church and he is preparing us for what comes next. It may not be exactly when we want it to happen, or when we think we “deserve” it to happen. But I promise you, in Christ’s perfect timing it will happen the way he has allowed. Until then, as Isaiah writes in Chapter 40:31 But those who hope in the Lord will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles; they will run and not grow weary, they will walk and not be faint.”
Isaiah 55:8-9 “For my thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are your ways my ways,” declares the Lord.

As a loving father knows what is best for his children as our father in heaven knows what is best for his church.

For the challenges and hardships that we have faced and hurdles that may be ahead I say bring ‘em on. Paul writes in 2 Corinthians 12:10 “Jesus told me “My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness”…That is why, for Christ’s sake, I delight in weaknesses, in insults, in hardships, in persecutions, in difficulties. For when I am weak, then I am strong.

As a Lead Team where we are right now, is working through our 2nd batch of candidates.  We have compared notes and a few promising candidates have risen above the rest.

We are doing everything we can to “Hustle and Obey” as our District Superintendent says. But we must remember that God’s will not ours be done.

As a church body, please be in prayer for wisdom and discernment so that we may hear with clarity the voice of God.

- Jesse Pierson

No comments:

Post a Comment