Sunday, June 15, 2014

What's Important To You?

Throughout our lives we all face times of happiness and sadness.  We get to rejoice in God's blessings and learn to trust Him and grow when we face struggles.

In May I encountered one of those struggles as I found myself facing open-heart surgery.  In the weeks leading up to surgery I would find myself thinking about the things that are important in my life. On the morning of surgery right before the anesthesiologist put me under, these important things were rushing through my mind at warp speed.  

During the week following surgery I had quite a bit of time in the hospital to think again about the important things in my life. I realized that in all three instances (the weeks before surgery, the moments right before surgery, and during my recovery) the same three things had come to my mind.

Number one is God. I thank Him and praise Him for who he is and for my salvation. I thank him for doctors and nurses that he has blessed with the skills to perform my surgery and take care of me.  I also knew that if something went wrong and it was my time to meet Him that not only would I be with Him in heaven, but I had peace that He would take care of my family.

Deuteronomy 7:9 I Know therefore that the Lord your God is God; he is the faithful God, keeping his covenant of love to a thousand generations of those who love him and keep his commandments.

Second is family. God has blessed me with my beautiful wife Lori who has not only put up with me for thirty years, but she has gone above and beyond to be there for me and take care of me through surgery and recovery.  Truly an example of "in sickness and in health".  He has also blessed me with three wonderful kids and a son-in-law all of whom I couldn't be prouder of.  I am also blessed with  the support of an amazing  extended family.

Deuteronomy 26:11 And you shall rejoice in all the good that the Lord your God has given to you and to your house

The third thing is friendships.  I am so thankful for all of the friends God has provided me.  I have been so blessed during this time by those who stopped by the hospital, those who have kept me in your prayers, and the words of encouragement that I continue to receive.  Most of my friendships stem from my involvement at church (both previous churches and Bridgeway).  I can’t stress enough the importance of getting plugged in at church and building these friendships.  It is important as a body of believers that we not only worship together, but that we have fun and do life together.  That we lift up each other’s needs in prayer.  That we provide support in both good times and bad times.  I’ve made friends at Bridgeway by serving on the Worship Team, Lead Team, Cafe, and in Life Groups.  I don’t say this to say “look how much I’ve served”, I just want you to know that plugging in at church is a great way to build relationships.  

1 Thessalonians 5:11 Therefore encourage one another and build one another up, just as you are doing.

I encourage you to find a place to serve. Not only will you be serving others, but you will also be building those important relationships.  If you need help getting plugged in, just make a note on the connection card that is passed out on Sunday mornings. State that you would like to find a place to serve. Place it in the offering bucket and we will get you connected with the appropriate leader.

Also, as the Life Group director here at Bridgeway, I really encourage you to think about joining or even leading a Life Group this fall.  More information will be coming soon about our fall kick-off.


So what's important to me? Living each day thanking God for who He is and finding his purpose, my family, and my friends.

What's important to you?


What's important to our lead team?  
·         Developing in leadership ability so we can serve to the best of our ability.
·         Developing our relationships with each other so that we can be united in service to Bridgeway.  

·         Developing our relationships with those around us in the church and outside of the church so that we can truly be what God has called us to be and reach people for Him!

No comments:

Post a Comment